Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Who - Amazing Journey/Sparks Fillmore East



My search for great versions of "Sparks" takes me back to 1969 - the "Tommy era" - and a performance at the Fillmore East. I think Pete Townshend's guitar is begging for mercy at the end of this one, while Keith Moon absolutely wallops his drum kit.

I also like the video below from Buffalo in 1979. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but Pete does something different from 2:23 to 2:30. He seems to be playing something that sounds very similar to the opening riff of U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name." By the way, that U2 song didn't come out until 1987.

Some day I'd like to upload The Who playing this song in Boston during the 2002 tour. Daltrey shreds the tambourine and an inspired Pete shows why he is absolutely a master of his craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment